Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Finding Harley Davidson of Busan!

For Christmas I bought my dad a Harley shirt from Korea! It took a bit to find but we did it!

For me Harleys are a normal part of life, I mean I've lived in Milwaukee and that rumble just seems like home... not to mention over half my family owns and drives one. Korea, however, see's Harley in a different way. Here's a little education I learned and I'm passing it on:
 
In keeping with Korea’s more family-oriented culture, Harley-Davidson Korea has placed greater emphasis on family-related events such as the “family tour”, where bikers travel to a destination on their motorcycle while the rest of the family travels along by bus.
Harley-Davidson’s image of rider-bike-open-road in the Korean consciousness is not without its roadblocks. Here, riders are forbidden from the ‘open road’ as Korea is the only country in the OECD that doesn’t allow motorcycles on highways.
36-year-old Busan businessman Lee Dong-yeup, who saddles up nearly every weekend on a 2011 Street Glide CVO model, thinks that, in time, all roads will be open to motorcyclists.
“If riders adhere to traffic laws and the etiquette of the road, I think the regulation will be lifted,” says Lee.
As in America, many of the complaints about Harleys revolve around that bubbling-like roar emitted from its twin tailpipes. Interestingly, in the early years of production, Harley-Davidson made its name as the quietest bike on the road. Now, its roar is part of its legend—even for Korean riders.
“When I ride a Harley-Davidson, I can feel the uniqueness of its engine and the noise of its exhaust,” says Lee.
And what about the perception of the gangster motorcyclist in Korea?
“When people see riders in a group, they also think those people are a part of motorcycle gang,” says Lee. “It is understandable because, at times, even I don’t want to ride a Harley because it is too noisy. By not installing a noisy muffler, observing the speed limit, and refraining from the group ride, people will think differently about Harley riders.”
Are these likely to happen? Or will Korean Harley riders stick with the company’s own maxim? “Screw it, let’s ride.”
 
 
 

 




1 comment:

  1. Hi

    I am planning to visit BUSAN next month and I would like to buy a Busan HD shirt! (I have a nice collection of t-shirts from places I have to visit)

    Do you know the address of the store??

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete