Monday, June 17, 2013

The first day of school and Korean BBQ

Today was my first day at school! All I did was observe classes but it was pretty exhausting to watch and see how different school is here than back in the US. I was trained that you should never correct a child but repeat back to them in the proper way of speaking. Here its totally different. You correct them and then have them repeat it back to you immediately. I guess that's why I'm here, right? To make sure they are using English correctly. I also learned that my schedule is pretty crazy. I start at school about 9:30am, have a hour and a half break in the middle of the day and I end around 7:00pm.

The kids ask you pretty funny questions besides the basic ones like where are you from... are you married... how old are you... but the best question I was asked today was:

"Teacher, are those your real eyelashes?" :)

Let me tell you, the pressure is already on for me to preform well. Erin, the foreign  teacher leader told me that they expect a lot from me since I'm already a teacher. Jeeze, its my first day training... but BRING IT ON!

After school a group of teachers from school went to eat at a Korean Barbeque place. All I can say is YUM.
I couldn't tell you how to pronounce that... but this is where we ate and it is just around the corner from my apartment.

The first thing the brought us were all the different sides. There are onions in soy sauce, gimchi (that's fermented cabbage in a fish paste and spicy stuff), bean sprouts, corn salad (which I owned), cold soup (which I forgot to try), a salad with this weird red stuff and rice vinegar, and fresh garlic. I tried everything except the soup... because I forgot... guess ill have to go back! :p
It was all super delicious!

Then they brought us the hot coals and grill topper. Also some different marinades for the beef and pork we ordered.

We started grilling our meat up! The yellowish bowl next to the grill was egg soup. It tasted just like scrabbled eggs.

Here we are demolishing all the food. They even had this hose/grill hood thing that you could move up and down to reduce the smoke.
If you haven't noticed there are no plates. You just communal eat. Germs are no big deal.... and did I mention all they give you is a spoon and chop-sticks? I'm getting pretty good at maneuvering the chop-sticks but it takes significantly longer to eat. By the end I'm sure ill be a pro!
Oh man. It was such a good meal. I'm so full and I'm so sleepy. Yay, Korea!

1 comment:

  1. I've added you to my blogroll so I can follow along on your fun adventure. This all looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete