Friday, June 14, 2013

D-day stands for departure day


Let’s just say Tuesday to Wednesday night was a very restless, sleep free night for me. I cuddled with Hercules and tried to condense a year’s worth of loving into one night. It was twilight, the sun was about to come up and I realized that I wanted to charge my ipod before flying. I was rummaging through my bags to find the ipod cord. Then I searched my backpack when I realized my passport was missing.

Yep, 5:00 AM the day I’m supposed to leave and there is no passport in my bag! Holy shit! Heart attack.

The day before that I moved everything home, cleaned the room for the newb, and finished packing. First, I ripped apart the backpack. Then the suitcases, then freaked out. I woke up Ashley and made her run back to our place in MKE since we were at my parents’ house in West Bend to search for the missing passport.

Don’t worry. I found it, 45 minutes later packed away all snug in my TV box with my TV from my bedroom. How does this shit always happen to me?

And then off I went. I do have to say I am so proud of my Ms. Thompson for keeping it together at the airport. It wasn’t a sad cry-fest! Wooohoo! Little tears, lots of hugs and now here I am writing this from the plane.

***Insert weird coincidence here. I’ll talk about in my next post***

All I can say is that my mom would not appreciate this flight. There has been so much turbulence! I spent a few hours sleeping and I have successfully watched 2 movies: Stroker (something like that) and Jack the giant killer… It’s with the same guy from Warm Bodies, and half of Struck by Lightning until I fell asleep again! I made friends with the older Mongolian man next to me.

The Mongolian man, who I could not pronounce his name to save my life, tried talking to me for a while in some very broken English. He was super nice and I found out he has 3 boys, two in the states and 1 in Mongolia. He was also trying to teach me about Asian languages. The difference between Korean, Chinese and Mongolian. I couldn’t really understand what he was saying except Koreans have 5 different “a’s” and they range in sounds like “do, re, mi, fa, so” (I understood because he sang that to me) Chinese have 7 different “a” sounds and Mongolians have 1. He also explained to me that Mongolian used to be written up and down, much like Arabic. But that changed in WW2 when we started using computers and then they started writing left to right.

Woot, language lesson and history lesson! Now you know.

He was so sweet that he made sure I made it through the right transfer and got me to my terminal in time because I had a quick connection. J

I arrived in Pusan airport and must have looked a little lost because a man, who I thought worked for the airport came and helped me. Nope he was a cab driver and although my directions were to take the bus to a bus stop to meet Mr. Park, I kinda got swooped up by Mr. Cab driver and he swindled me all the way to my stop. A $70 cab ride later and I was exactly where I was supposed to be. (learning lesson... follow the directions and take a bus!)

 I waited for about an hour for Mr. Park until I started to think I should call him to make sure he was coming. (Patience is a virtue, that’s one virtue I have)  Mind you he doesn’t know what I look like, and I didn’t know what he looked like. My internet connection wasn’t working to make a phone call so I set off to find a pay phone. This nice lady stopped to help me, called Mr. Park, and found where he had been waiting for me this whole time, which was about 50 feet away on the side of the bus stop and I was waiting on a bench at the bus stop. :p

Off I go to my new apartment!

Post song: Two cups (Your gonna miss me) by Anna Kendrick, “When I'm gone When I'm gone You're gonna miss me when I'm gone You're gonna miss me by my hair You're gonna miss me everywhere, oh You're really gonna miss me when I'm gone

No comments:

Post a Comment