Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Andong Mask Festival!

AHAHAHAHA... information service for the handicapped, the old, the weak. and foreigners.

OMG, I love these live infomercial things they do at fairs. I get so sucked it... I sware its one of my favorite activities at the Wisconsin state fair. lol.. I'm lame... I know.

ZORBING

And Welcome to the mask festival!

Lots of big masked statues...

This masked figure is eating a drum stick. AHHAH... oh how I love Korea... everything is so funny here.

Visitors to the festival will enjoy the many performances of Korea’s traditional mask dances. These dances are an important part of Korea’s heritage, in particular the byeolsingut talnori dance, which has been designated an Important Intangible Cultural Asset of Korea.
To be very clear this dance is the 49th Intanginle Cultural Asset of Korea.


The dance-drama, with musical accompaniment, exhibits considerable ribaldry, with the lions fighting and simulating intercourse; the butcher acting out the sacrifice of a bull before try to sell its heart and testicles; the old widow at the loom sadly singing of her solitary life; the lecherous, apostate monk stumbling upon Pune, a flirtatious young woman or dancing girl, sniffing the ground before running off with her; the nobleman and scholar attempting to win Pune's favors by boasting of their good-breeding and learning, while she flirts with each in turn by killing his lice, before the proceedings are interrupted by a tax-collector; followed by the reenactment of a wedding ceremony and the ensuing wedding night that is so lifelike that minors and women are not allowed to watch.
 
Well, I stole that off the internet but as you can tell its quite a story. Lol... pretty bazar especially when you have no idea what's going on. But I politely looked over a Korean mans shoulder because I saw that his program was in English... he was nice enough to let me read it so it made wayyyy more sense.




This guy is carrying the weird masked baby on his shoulders.

This thing was hilarious! It was a little mechanical machine pulling the carriage... but the wiggled really funny and its Hello Kitty wearing a wrestling shirt.
One of the things I really wanted to do at the festival was make my one mask... So I did! Here is the blank mask. and the fun ideas that they gave you...


Finished product! I feel pretty good about my mask making abilities!


This is my friend Charles and the mask he made!
After we enjoyed the mask festival in town and headed out to the Hahoe Folk Village to see the display of traditional Korean fireworks. This was probably my favorite part of the whole weekend. I mean where else in the whole world would I see traditional Korean fireworks other than in Korea.
They did the fireworks in 4 different ways. First I have to "set the stage" so you understand the whole set up... You sit on the hill of a river bank. There is a river that cuts in between the hill and  across the river bank is a mountain with a rocky cliff face.
 
That is a link to someone else's blog that had a video of the fireworks! Since my pictures are not the best. There's no lanterns in the video but it shows the strings and the barrels of hay and the singers as the fireworks are going on!
 
1.. LANTERNS IT THE SKY!!!!! This is one of the only things I've ever wanted to see ever.

1. The hung stings from the cliff face to where we were on the opposite side on the hill and strung up pine cones with sap or some sort of material and lite them one fire. They twirled the rope bringing it further across the river. It looked like a waterfall of fire. Pretty amazing.

3. On the top of the mountain they were lighting hay bails on fire and throwing them off the cliffs side. People would count: 1, 2, 3 DROP IT and down it would go... pretty epic.

4. They lite lanterns on fire and sent them floating down the river. Individually all these fireworks were beautiful... all together it was pretty crazy amazing!


 

After the fire works we made our way back to a bar and enjoyed some drinks with the masks on! Pretty great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment